Sips in the City is tonight, and it’s one of my wife & I’s favorite nights in Des Moines. My wife loves wine…she’s one of those that can tell the difference between good and bad wines…I lack those skills. I know what I like though (see #6 on the following list).
I’m looking forward to having some listeners join us out there tonight. It’s always a good time!
I’ve gone 4 years…so I’m a Sips in the City “professional”
Here are some “Tips for Sips in the City” tonight…
1. Pace….when you walk in, you will see many vendors/tents…you can do them all if you wish…but you don’t have to do them all in the first 10 minutes. Enjoy the 3 hours.
2. Take phone pics of the wines you like…otherwise, you will forget. I forget.
3. Remember to have at least a sip of water every 15 minutes…wine dehydrates…water re-hydrates.
4. If you can’t pronounce the wine…then that’s the one you want. I find that the ones that I can’t pronounce are even more delicious.
5. Don’t remind someone that they have purplish teeth…you do too….and also, “My teeth look like I caught the bubonic plague” are tired and hackneyed.
6. Pink wines are fantastic…if the wine pourer (probably a more fancy name for that than “wine pourer”) says anything involving the word “berry”…that’s the wine I’m going for. A “Berry” wine that you can’t pronounce…winner winner, wine & cheese dinner.
7. Wear comfortable shoes. Now is not the time to break out the 5 inch heels…you’ll be standing and drinking wine. Be comfortable.
8. If you’re goal is to drink all the reds & merlots available…shy away from wearing white. Spills happen.
9. Don’t quote Sideways…it’s 2014. That time has come & gone….see #5 for “tired and hackneyed” reference.
10. Wine-themed shirts are AWESOME. Wear ’em if you got ’em!
11. If you get stumped on what wine to have…let your wife go first…let her pick…and then when it’s your turn, just say “Same thing as her please”.
12.From a sommelier…don’t make out in front of vendors tables. Apparently, it’s awkward.
Have fun tonight! Good times!!
AWESOME is as AWESOME does!