News

Beyoncé defends use of Challenger explosion in music video

Beyoncé defends use of Challenger explosion in music video

NEW SONG, NEW CONTROVERSY: Beyoncé, seen here during a Dec. 18 tour stop, is defending her use of audio from the fatal Challenger explosion. Photo: Associated Press/Robin Harper/Invision for Parkwood Entertainment

Beyoncé says she meant no harm. But some people connected with the space agency says her use of a clip from the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion is at the very least, insensitive.

She uses part of the mission control statement in which a ground controller states there has been “a major malfunction” aboard the craft shortly after its 1986 launch.

All seven crew members died.

Initial statements on NASA’s website ripped Beyoncé, calling the use of the clip “inappropriate in the extreme” — and saying it was as bad as using audio from the Sept. 11 attacks or the Kennedy assassination “for shock value in a pop tune.” But in more recent statements said the tragedy “should never be trivialized.”

For her part, Beyoncé says the message of the song was that life is fleeting — and that people should treasure loved ones while they are still with us.

Recent Headlines

in Music

Royalties won’t ‘Stay’ with Sam Smith

Updated
11-overlay5

Tom Petty "Won't Back Down" over the similarities between his 1989 hit and the Grammy-nominated "Stay With Me."

in Music

Phillip Phillips wants to be ‘free’

phillipphillips

The "American Idol" winner wants to be released from recording and merchandising deals linked to the TV talent show.

in Entertainment

Emma Watson is Belle in ‘Beauty and the Beast’

Updated
emmawatson

The former "Harry Potter" star will play the princess in a live-action version of the Disney film.

in Entertainment

Seekers of the Hollywood Sign disrupt nearby neighborhood

hollywood

Like pilgrims flocking to a holy shrine, they come from all over the world to pay homage to a symbol of celebrity.

in Music

Chris Brown is a victim of identity theft

chrisbrown

The singer is believed to have lost documents while in the San Bernardino County Jail last year.