News

Nigeria offers $300K reward for missing girls, U.S. offers aid

Nigeria offers $300K reward for missing girls, U.S. offers aid

KIDNAPPED:Protesters hold signs during a march in support of the girls kidnapped by members of Boko Haram in front of the Nigerian Embassy in Washington May 6. Photo: Reuters/Gary Cameron

ABUJA (Reuters) – Nigerian police offered a 50 million naira ($300,000) reward on Wednesday to anyone who can give credible information leading to the rescue of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Islamist rebels.

Last month’s mass kidnapping by militant group Boko Haram in the remote northeastern village of Chibok triggered an international outcry and protests in Nigeria, piling pressure on the government to get the girls back.

President Barack Obama says the immediate priority is finding nearly 300 teenage girls who were kidnapped from their school in Nigeria three weeks ago.

But Obama says the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram must also be dealt with.

The brazen April 15 abduction has sparked international outrage.

And Obama says in an interview with NBC’s “Today” that he’s glad the Nigerian government is accepting help from U.S. military and law enforcement advisers.

The White House says U.S. armed forces are not being sent.

(Reporting by Camillus Eboh; Writing by Tim Cocks; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

Recent Headlines

in Music

PHOTOS: Joe Cocker through the years

AP02072004165_46

A look back on the legendary career of the "Up Where We Belong" hitmaker.

in Music

Legendary rocker Joe Cocker dead at 70

cocker

The raspy-voiced, Grammy-winning "You Are So Beautiful" singer has lost his battle with lung cancer.

in Music

Chris Brown committed to finishing community service

chrisbrown

The singer has turned his community service into a full-time job for the next six weeks.

in Entertainment, Weird

New Jersey Christmas tree controlled by tweets

treetweet

Twitter users anywhere in the world can control the lights on this holiday display.

in Entertainment

Leaked Sony emails reveal Idris Elba in line for ‘Bond’

idriselba

A leaked Sony email named British actor Idris Elba as the frontrunner to replace Daniel Craig as James Bond.