News

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro will serve life without parole plus 1,000 years to avoid the death penalty. Photo: Associated Press/Tony Dejak

CLEVELAND (AP) — A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro is entering the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.

He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro.

They escaped Castro’s house May 6 when one kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.

Recent Headlines

in Music

Iggy Azalea didn’t want to dance with Britney Spears

iggy

The "Fancy" hitmaker directed the upcoming music video for "Pretty Girls," but felt uncomfortable dancing alongside the "Toxic" hitmaker.

in Music

Chris Brown fighting to get his name on daughter’s birth certificate

chrisbrown

The "Kiss Kiss" hitmaker wants to be named the legal father of his daughter, Royalty.

in Entertainment, Sports

Bruce Jenner: ‘I am a woman’

brucejenner

The retired Olympic champion confirmed long-running speculation suggesting he is transitioning from male to female.

in Entertainment

This weekend in entertainment history

studio54

A look back at some of Hollywood's most memorable headlines.

in Entertainment

Billboard suggests Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs in the line of fire for ‘Rush Hour 4′

puffdaddy

Is this a prank or is Puff Daddy replacing Chris Tucker in the fourth installment of the franchise?