Eat to beat depression by stocking up on these six grocery items, each containing vitamins and nutrients proven to make you less irritable, more alert, and all around happier:
- Mushrooms: Contain vitamin D, low levels of which have been linked to depression, chronic pain, headaches and heart disease.
- Whipped butter: Butter makes everyone happy, but because the whipped kind is less dense, it contains fewer calories.
- Wild salmon, trout or mackerel: They’re the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids, critical for warding off depression.
- Chickpeas: A great source of vitamin B6, essential to cognitive development and a healthy brain.
- Dark-green leafy vegetables: Contain folate, a B vitamin that may also help reduce symptoms of depression.
- Pumpkin seeds: A hugely underrated mood booster, these contain large quantities of magnesium.